Bhapa Chingri ( ভাপা চিংড়ী )
- 1 Steamer or steaming pot
- 2 Blender or grinder
- 3 Mixing bowl
- 4 Steaming plate or dish
- 5 Aluminum foil or banana leaf optional
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 4 tablespoons grated coconut
500 grams awns, deveined and cleaned
- 2 green chilies, slit
- 2 tablespoons mustard oil
- 1 tablespoons turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
- In a blender or grinder, make a paste by blending mustard seeds, grated coconut, green chilies, and a little water. The paste should be smooth and thick.
- Transfer the mustard-coconut paste to a mixing bowl and add mustard oil, turmeric powder, and salt. Mix well to combine all the ingredients
- Add the cleaned prawns to the mixture and coat them evenly with the mustard-coconut paste. Ensure that the prawns are well coated.
- If using aluminum foil or banana leaf, line a steaming plate or dish with it. Otherwise, use a greased steaming plate.
- Place the prawns on the steaming plate, arranging them in a single layer.
- Cover the plate with a lid or wrap it tightly with aluminum foil, ensuring that no steam escapes during the cooking process.
- Heat water in a steamer or steaming pot and place the steaming plate inside. Steam the prawns for about 15-20 minutes on medium heat, or until the prawns are cooked through and tender.
- Once cooked, carefully remove the steaming plate from the steamer and let it cool slightly.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Bhapa Chingri is ready to be served. Serve it hot with steamed rice or enjoy it as an appetizer.
The cooking time may vary depending on the size of the prawns. Ensure that they are thoroughly cooked before serving.
Enjoy the delightful flavors of Bhapa Chingri, a delicious Bengali delicacy!
|1||Blend mustard seeds, grated coconut, green chilies, and water to make a smooth paste.||5 minutes|
|2||In a mixing bowl, combine the mustard-coconut paste, mustard oil, turmeric powder, and salt.||2 minutes|
|3||Add the cleaned prawns to the mixture and coat them evenly.||5 minutes|
|4||Line a steaming plate or dish with aluminum foil or banana leaf (optional).||2 minutes|
|5||Arrange the prawns in a single layer on the steaming plate.||2 minutes|
|6||Cover the plate with a lid or aluminum foil to seal in the steam.||2 minutes|
|7||Steam the prawns for 15-20 minutes on medium heat until cooked through.||15-20 minutes|
|8||Carefully remove the plate from the steamer and let it cool slightly.||2 minutes|
|9||Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.||1 minute|
|10||Serve hot with steamed rice or as an appetizer.||–|